A graduate of this program should be able to:
- Identify nomenclature and the proper use of hand and portable power tools.
- Apply knowledge of wood as a material in the proper construction of various fine furniture projects.
- Demonstrate safe practice in the use and setup of trade machinery.
- Demonstrate skill in the use of drafting equipment in order to produce shop drawings.
- Read shop blueprints in order to develop accurate material lists.
- Demonstrate knowledge of finishing materials along with the skills required for wood finishing including: wood preparation, wood coloring using various stains and top coating using oil finishes, shellacs, varnishes, and lacquers.
- Demonstrate the ability to list and prepare millwork items required for various building projects.
- Demonstrate proficiency in grinding knives for the shaper and moulder and the setup of machines for production.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce jigs and fixtures required for production work.
- Demonstrate the skill and knowledge necessary for kitchen layout, design, construction, and installation.
- Develop the skills and knowledge required for producing various types of countertops.
- Develop a strong work ethic along with the ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team.